We all know summer nights can feel long, hot and restless, so it’s not surprising it can be a tough time for the little ones in your home too. Don’t despair! Help is at hand. Get all the tips and tricks on how to get your little one to fall asleep, and stay asleep, from The Baby Sleep School.
As the days become longer, bedtime is often pushed back in line with our baby’s normal circadian rhythm set by the cycle of light and dark over 24 hours.
Whilst we always encourage sticking to a routine, a later than usual bedtime every so often won’t hurt. Also, trying to remember that its ok to enjoy this amazing weather and skipping a day nap every so often is ok! We highly encourage you to enjoy the sunshine and take your little one to the park!
We have put together our top tips to help combat longer, hotter nights:
• A quality block out blind to make sure your little person’s room stays dark and cool, particularly with the early rising sun – this can be your number 1 tool against early rising! We recommended complete darkness for both day and night sleeps to help encourage your baby sleep longer consolidated day naps and overnight sleep.
• Sleepy tip: Sleeping your baby in complete darkness also helps with the production of the melatonin the sleepy hormone- your baby’s brain produces this in response to darkness. It helps with the timing of their circadian rhythms (24-hour internal clock) and with sleep. Being exposed to light at night can block melatonin production.
• A room fan can help with air flow on stuffy nights, circulating air (even in conjunction with an air conditioner) and has the bonus of a soft humming white noise, which helps to soothe your baby to sleep.
• It is important we keep our little people hydrated through the warmer days. Did you know that dehydration can lead to a reduction in melatonin? The Sleepy hormone that plays such an important role in your Baby’s sleep! Offer extra feeds/water throughout the day to ensure your little person is not dehydrated at bedtime.
• Follow your baby’s awake time for their age and make sure they don’t become overtired and irritable, which is easy to do when your baby is hot and trying to adjust to summer weather.
During the day it is still important for your little person to get lots of fresh air and exercise to help support healthy sleep. Always be SunSmart and provide lots hydrating fruits/water during play time.
Finally, have a careful think about summer pyjamas and bed linen. Think about how you dress yourself for bedtime during summer and apply that your little person. Good quality, breathable pyjamas, linen, and sleep bags are essential and always worth the investment. Kip&Co have a fabulous range of organic rompers and swaddles that are perfect all year round.
Since its launch, Baby Sleep School has helped thousands of families regain their parenting confidence with 1:1 sleep consults & easy-to-understand digital sleep guides. We are constantly developing new ways to offer families support. Today, parents can access tools and resources via an app, online guides, 24/7 access to sleep consultants and specialised sleep products. We believe it is the kind of help every family, no matter their resources or setup, deserves. 3am or 3pm we’re always there!