We get the lowdown on what she loves about living in the inner city hustle and bustle of Richmond, and what's next on the cards, after her incredible 22 night Melbourne Comedy Festival showcase!
1. Hi Aurellia, thank you for inviting us to your beautiful apartment! For those who may not be familiar with you, could you please introduce yourself and tell us about what you do?
Hey! I'm a Melbourne based comedian, writer and content creator.
2. In addition to your roles as a content creator, model, and podcaster, you have also established yourself as a successful comedian. Congratulations on your recent 22 night performance at the Melbourne Comedy Show! Could you share with us when and how your comedy career began?
I started at open mic comedy nights and pretty much fell in love with connecting with people through laughter straight away. Unbeknownst to many, anyone can sign up to do a show at the Fringe Festival or Comedy Festival. If you're interested just sign up for an open mic and start working on your set. Stage time is everything!
3. While you have lived in various places over the years, you now reside in the vibrant neighbourhood of Richmond. What aspects of the hustle and bustle of this inner city suburb do you enjoy the most?
I love that we're close to everything we need here. From beautiful trails by the Yarra and dog-friendly parks, to great coffee shops and authentic Vietnamese cuisine, Richmond has it all. It's also conveniently close to the CBD and we often catch a tram to the city to see shows and meet friends.
4. Your apartment is decorated with hanging prints, a display of your vinyl collection, and striking furniture. What does your choice of decor and styling convey about your personality and tastes?
I spend a lot of time working from home, so I need space to feel cosy and interesting. Displaying things I've collected throughout the years on trips and different share houses, or on Facebook Marketplace just makes me happy. Having some of my vinyl collection on my wall, for example, means I get to look at my favourite album covers all the time. I play records every day while cooking, working, or just setting the mood for the day.
5. Last year, you got married to your partner Tamara (congratulations, by the way!). Did you have any grand celebrations to commemorate this special occasion, or did you keep it low-key?
We eloped in Las Vegas at the Little White Chapel and told no one until after the fact. It was perfect - just the two of us having one of the most fun days of our lives. Our photographer took us to downtown Las Vegas (which is a lot nicer than the Vegas strip!) and a rooftop overlooking the desert after the ceremony for some photos as the sun set. We want to have a big party to celebrate our marriage with our friends at some point as well, but we wouldn't change a thing about the day.