Our Home Life Series is a weekly sneak peek into the homes and lives of Australia's most creative and inspiring people.
This week on the Home Life Series, we take you inside Candice Johnson's perfectly pastel Brunswick home. With an eye for quirky and colourful homewares, Candice (@picsfromcandice) has transformed this high-ceiling, three storey Melbourne apartment into her happy home, filled with pastel pieces and pink accents. We chat to Candice about all things pink, how to colour your home for winter and get her intel on the best vintage stores in Melbourne.
1. Can you tell us a bit about your gorgeous home? How long have you been here and who lives with you?
We have been here almost 1 year now, and live with my partner Eddie and our little dog Louis Furroux. The building used to be a clothes factory and it has the best quirky layout. It has really inspired me to have a bit of fun with the decor. I have a real love for homewares and furniture and this space really brings it all to life.
2. Your home brings us so much joy and happiness! How did you choose this style of interiors for your home? And, why pink?
I love that! It honestly brings me so much joy as well. I am not a huge planner with my style and I tend to make it up as I go. I like to work around core homewares, art or furniture pieces and build it from there. I have always gravitated towards colour, but specifically pink because it just makes me so happy. I try to change it up with new colours and always end up back at pink because I just love it so much.
3. If you couldn’t tell, we love colour as much as you do! How does colour make you feel, and why do you love putting it in your home.
I love colour and it’s super important to me. It makes me feel happy and keeps the space bright and sunny, even in the cold winter months. Adding colour to a space helps it to feel like a home, especially if you are a renter like me.
4. Winter has well and truly arrived here in Melbourne. Do you have any tips on how to make interior styling bright, colourful and vibrant even throughout the colder months?
It sure has. I love adding bright cushions and throw blankets to the chairs and sofas. Not only does it add brightness, but adds the cozy feel that you want in the chiller months. I am a self confessed cushion addict and I really feel it’s the best way to add character and vibrancy to your home.
5. You have a wonderful eye for finding quirky and colourful homewares. Can you let us in on your favourite places to shop and best vintage stores?
Absolutely! Facebook marketplace is a big one, I look everyday as you just don’t know what your going to find. I love a opp shop for little vases and small homewares. Places like the Mill markets around Victoria are amazing if you have the time to spend.
6. You’re a long time fan of Kip&Co (thanking you!!), what products are you loving at the moment?
I’m such a fan! I love that you embrace colour and have a bit of fun with it. I am obsessing over all the amazing throw blankets (I’m always partial to a tassel throw) and loving the petal shaped cushions.
Read more Home Life Series on the Kip&Co blog.